Wednesday, September 5, 2012

dairy-free lamingtons


Lamingtons were a childhood favourite of mine.

They are one of my first baked treats that really worked out well for me, every time. From about the age of 13/14 I loved being in the kitchen baking. I have fond memories of hanging out on the bench helping mum while we made ANZAC cookies.
When I got the gist of baking on my own, most afternoons after school I would be straight into the kitchen and browse through my favourite cookbook of all time – Woman's Weekly ‘Sweet Old Fashioned Favourites’. The go-tos would be: Devil’s Food Cake, Vanilla Slice, Coconut Ice, ANZAC Cookies and of course Lamingtons.


Now that I am older and my tastes have changed, I find myself baking less and less. But I was feeling nostalgic and decided to come up with a dairy-free, low-gi option for one of my all-time favourite homemade bakes.

I was amazed at how similar to the old version these were! The main difference was the coconut sugar in the sponge as it added a deeper rich caramel flavour. Yum!


Ingredients

(makes 12)

Sponge
3 eggs
1/2 c coconut sugar
1/2 c self raising flour
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda

Icing
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/4 c agave syrup
1/8 tsp stevia powder
1 tblsp cocoa butter
1 tblsp creamed coconut or coconut oil
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1/4 c water
tiny pinch of salt

chipped coconut

Sponge
Heat oven to 150 degrees and line a 9"x12" baking dish with baking paper.
Beat eggs in a medium bowl until thick and creamy.
Slowly add coconut sugar until well dissolved.
Next, slowly fold through sifted self-raising flour and bi-carb soda.
Pour mixture into the dish and bake in oven for 20 mins.
Remove from oven and cool completely.

Icing
Bring a saucepan to boil, half filled with water.
Next combine all ingredients for the 'icing' in a small bowl and stir constantly over the boiling water until butter is melted.

Assembly
Slice sponge into small squares.
Dip each square into 'icing' then roll into the chipped coconut and place on a plate.
Repeat the process for all the squares and place the plate in the refrigerator to cool.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment