Wednesday, September 19, 2012

vegan apple pie


Okay, okay, okay, so my craving for apple pie was not entirely quenched by the tea that I came up with the other day. It kept coming to mind that I just wanted to enjoy a real, warm apple pie - and I finally gave in.


Joel hovered the whole time that I was making this. I've never seen him so interested in something that I am making. He would just wonder into the kitchen, sip on his beer and say 'mmm I love pie'.

The smell that filled the house was this warm, caramely rich and deep appley cinnamon smell that made it hard not to dig in as soon as the pie came out of the oven.

To top off this evening, a book that I have been eyeing off for over a year now has finally been released. I have it downloaded on the kindle app on my ipad ready to go.

So, I am going to love and leave you as I have a date with a book and some pie.


Ingredients

(makes 6-8 slices)

Pastry
2 c white spelt flour
1 tblsp fine sugar
3 tblsp non-dairy butter
45 ml iced water

Filling
4 apple (skin on), cored and sliced 1cm
1/4 c currants
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tblsp water

Pastry
In a medium sized bowl combine flour, sugar and salt.
Rub butter into flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
Create a well in the middle and slowly add water, cutting it in with 2 forks. 
Add enough water for the pastry to come together without being sticky.
Roll into a ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Cut 1/4 of the pastry out and place back in the refrigerator.
Roll out the 3/4 of the pastry between two baking paper sheets.
Remove one side of the paper and invert into baking dish, press down and slowly remove the top sheet.
Trim off excess pastry and use to fill in any gaps.
Using a fork, poke holes in the pastry and place in oven for 20 minutes until golden.
Remove and cool.

Filling
While the pastry is in the refrigerator cooling, start the filling.
Combine all ingredients in a medium sized pot and heat on medium for 20 or so minutes until apples are softened.
Remove from heat and cool.

Assembly
Fill the pastry dish with apples.
Then, roll out the final 1/4 of pastry and cut into 2cm strips.
Lay each strip down diagonal, about 3cm apart down the length of the dish.
Repeat in the opposite direction.
Return to oven to bake for a further 20 minutes until golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment