Monday, July 30, 2012

grilled snapper with daikon sesame salad


It's so great to grow your own veggies especially when you have not been able to made it to the markets. 

But, nothing else in my garden seems to last like the radishes. 
I guess the kangaroos and possums have not acquired a taste for this peppery vegetable.


I've been eyeing off my daikon radish for a while now. Watching it slowly grow higher and higher!
Finally it was ready for harvest and I knew exactly what I was going to build with it.

It's so rewarding growing your own veges. I love being able to wander outside and pick a few leafy greens for dinner, or a couple of herbs to garnish a meal.


I look forward to the day the Joel and I settle on our own acreage with a HUGE vege patch. I will grow everything.. including my own olives for pressing and a small vineyard for wine.

But for now, I'm content with the few things that I am able to grow.


Ingredients

(side serves 4-6)

1 large daikon radish
2 tblsp sesame oil
1 tblsp mirin sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tblsp nigella seeds
pinch of Himalayan rock salt

4-6 portions fresh snapper 
oil

Shred or grate the daikon and toss with all other ingredients, leave in refrigerator for flavours to infuse.
Heat a grill pan, lightly oil and sear the snapper fillets for 4-5 mins on each side.

Serve.



P.S. Our weekend was well spent.





1 comment:

  1. I love daikon and this is a very creative way to use it! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete