Wednesday, July 11, 2012

coconut & elderflower mini muffins with creamed coconut: vegan, low-gi


We had a Princess party over the weekend for our friends 2 daughters.

When asking what I could bring, it was suggested that I bake a dairy-free cake.
If I ever make anything sweet, it's always low-gi. I only have low-gi sweeteners at home so it means I get to be creative.

But my biggest dilemma is what cake to make when your not a sweet tooth.


Hmm, coconut always goes down well - right?!

Not to mention my best friend took me out to an amazing local organic health store last week where I picked up some creamed coconut. This stuff is dangerously, unbelievably, insanely delicious. And the store.. well.. I'll be back.

But, what else to go in my mini muffins..

Swinging on the refrigerator door staring into the ice box, I was hoping something would jump out at me. Eventually I noticed my Elderflower concentrate.
I bought it ages ago, but not really being into cordials, it's just been sitting there.
Ding ding - add it to the coconut muffins for a refreshing floral kick.


Ingredients

(makes 24)

3 tblsp 'No Egg', egg replacer*
1 c water

Dry
1 c wholemeal spelt flour
1 c finely desiccated coconut
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1/4 lucuma powder
1/4 coconut sugar
1/3 mesquite powder

Wet
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 drops of stevia
2 tblsp coconut oil
2 tblsp Elderflower concentrate

creamed coconut
coconut chips

Heat oven to 150 C and spray a mini muffin tin with oil.
Whisk egg replacer and water together in a small jug, set aside.
Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl, make a well.
Pour all wet items into the well, along with the 'egg' mixture.
In a circular motion, stir the ingredients until well combined.
Spoon 1-2 tblsp of the batter into the muffin holes.
Bake for 10-15 mins.
Turn onto cooling rack to cool completely.
Using a butter knife, spread 1 tsp of warmed creamed coconut over the muffins and sprinkle with coconut chips.
Place in refrigerator to cool - for at least 10 mins.

*If you didn't want to use egg replacer, you could use 3 eggs instead of the replacer and water.



I thought this would be a fitting post to put up, seeing tomorrow will be my birthday and what better way than to celebrate with cake!

xo

1 comment:

  1. i just found you blog and it's adorable! you and your husband are so cute and i love the names ;)

    ReplyDelete