Thursday, April 26, 2012

raw potato crisps

The first time I tried to make raw potato crisps, it didn't turn out too good.
We still ate them, but let's just say - it wasn't the most appealing snack to nibble on.


I'm not a fan of junk food.
There's something about greasy packet foods that doesn't sit too well with me.


But just because I don't like it, doesn't mean that Joel wouldn't devour a packet of chips if given half the chance.
So I had to work on perfecting this recipe.
Second time around turned out a zillion times better.
Let me share.



Ingredients

1 sweet potato
2 large red potatoes
1 tblsp quality olive oil
salt

Slice the potatoes super thin - I used the the slicing attachment on the food processor.
Rinse the sliced potatoes thoroughly until the water that comes off them is clear and fresh.
(This is where I went wrong last time, I didn't rinse the slices - talk about starchy!)
Combine in a large bowl and add oil and a pinch or 2 of salt.
(Also went wrong here, added too much salt - salty and starchy, eek!)
Toss thoroughly.
Place potato slices on dehydrator trays and dehydrate on the fruit and veg setting for 12-18* hours.
Check at intervals rotating trays as required.
Store in an airtight container.

*Times can vary, just check and stop when you feel the crisps are crispy enough.


Nom nom xo

1 comment:

  1. Just checking in from Food Buzz. Looks like a great alternative to greasy chips. I will have to try it! Feel free to stop by my blog and say hello!

    ReplyDelete