Tuesday, October 16, 2012

garlic, lime and chili mussels with spelt pasta


It's like a ghost town on this blog a the moment.. and not for any other reason than the fact that I am down and out with the flu.

I am truly miserable right now, coughing, sneezing, moaning and carrying around roll of toilet paper to blown my nose. I feel like I'm suffering the 'man-flu'.

Joel has been great, bringing me cups of peppermint tea first thing in the morning and offering to get me anything I need. I am so glad my husband works from home.

Enough of my misery. I haven't been adventurous in the kitchen recently, as you can imagine. However, as they say on the cooking shows - here is something I prepared earlier.


Ingredients

(serves 2)

70g wholemeal spelt pasta

1kg organic live mussels (in shell)

1 tblsp olive oil
1/2 garlic sprig, minced
1 lime, finely grated rind and juiced
1/2 small red hot chili, finely sliced
1/4 c dry sherry
2 handfuls of green peas, roughly chopped
1/4 c finely chopped parsley

salt and pepper to taste

Bring a medium sized pot of water to the boil and add pasta, cook until al-dente then drain and set aside.
As the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a saucepan/wok and add garlic, chili, sherry and lime rind - cook until fragrant and sherry has mostly evaporated.
Turn off heat and stir through the peas.
Bring a large pot/saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the mussels.
Boil for about 5-7 minutes until the mussels have opened.
With two-thirds of the mussels, remove the flesh out of the shell and add to the garlic mix - keeping the remaining mussels in the shell for decoration.
Re-heat the saucepan/wok and add in the pasta, parsley and lime juice tossing and heating through for a minute or two.
Serve and decorate with the mussels in shell.



No comments:

Post a Comment