Tuesday, August 7, 2012

lemon myrtle and poppy seed cracker: raw



Last winter we would be out on the property every weekend, chopping, collecting and stacking firewood for the week ahead. We have been lazy this winter and used my father’s contact for bulk fire wood.


Sadly, this contact has now fizzled out and our wood pile has slowly dwindled to nothing.
So, we loaded into our run-around car and up the hill we went. Joel chainsaw’ed and I followed him around loading the car full of logs. Then when we got back to the house, we unloaded and Joel chopped it all while I stacked. We make a good team!

I love my lumberjack man.

It’s been forever since I’ve posted a dehydrated recipe. It still runs regularly with fruits, crackers or dog treats.

So I thought I would share my latest cracker recipe with you. It’s delightfully fresh with the hints of lemon and pepper, perfectly wonderful on their own or alongside a tasty dip.

I had the crackers run over night so they would be ready by the next day. After our wood collecting efforts we munched a few down, nourishing our bodies with the super healthy benefits of the chia and cashews.


Ingredients

(makes 3 trays worth or 40 crackers)

1/2 c black chia seeds
1 1/2 c water

1 1/2 c raw cashews, soaked for 12 hours
1 tblsp poppy seeds
1 tsp lemon myrtle
1 lemon, juiced
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine chia seeds and water and set aside for 30mins to activate seeds.
Place drained cashews in a food processor and whiz until smooth.
Stir poppy seeds, lemon myrtle, juice, salt and pepper into the cashew mixture.
Next, slowly fold through the chia seeds until well combined.
Spread mixture onto dehydrator trays.
Tip: I don't have many teleflex sheets, so I find it useful to line the trays with baking paper.
Dehydrate on whatever setting you would use for fruit (level 2 for me), for 5 hours.
Then score the crackers to whatever size you would like.
Dehydrate for a further 10 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment